today is the day i say goodbye to being fifteen, and say hello to being sixteen. and man, it has been a good sixteen years.
on this special day i decided to list sixteen lessons i’ve learnt so far in my life. i’ve seen this type of post many times on other blogs/vlogs, and i must say that i really like the concept. so, without a lot of bla bla bla, i present to you, sixteen lessons i’ve acquired in the last sixteen years:
- it’s okay to change. it’s even natural. you shouldn’t feel bad about it, because there’s nothing wrong with it. i changed a lot in the past year or so, and i used to feel sick thinking about it, but then i realized that we’re in constant change. and that’s more than okay.
- there is no such thing as “being yourself” when you’re a teen. no, make yourself. discover yourself. your personality doesn’t come out of nowhere. you make it. be who you want to be, who you like to be. when you’re settled, then you can be yourself.
- you’re not a YA pentagonist. i know you want to, but you’re not. and that’s sad, because YA should reflect teens. but we’re working through it. soon, the YA pentagonist will be you.
- one grade doesn’t define your year. and i’m not saying this to cover the last grade you had, or to make you lazy, i’m saying it because it’s true.
- dress for yourself. and if someone makes a joke about your clothes, screw them.
- don’t expect everyone to like you. there’ll always be someone who doesn’t, so why bother? it’s their right to hate or like you, as long as they don’t act upon it.
- always seek knowledge. and i’m not talking about what you learn at school, i mean general knowledge. try to know more about other cultures, people, religions, etc.
- never be afraid to express your feelings. don’t hide them. you’re happy? great. marvellous. you’re sad? cry, it’ll make you feel good.
- yes, it’s okay to cry. it’s even good to cry. nothing makes you feel better after a rough day.
- go talk to that certain person. they may just become of your best friends. if you feel like you two will go places, go for it.
- it’s okay not to know what you want to do next. i know adults put so much pressure on you, tell you that you should know, but i can assure you it’s okay not to know.
- acne, periods, body hair… all of it is natural. and beautiful. don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
- whoever you are, you’re valid. you’re loved. don’t forget that.
- life isn’t always happy, not it is always sad. it is the presence of the first that values the second.
- go out. discover new places, new songs, and new hobbies. and if you don’t like to go out, don’t. please please please live your life to the fullest, and in YOUR definition.
- there’s so much ahead of you, you’ll never know what happens next.
and here you are, sixteen of the most valuable lessons to me.