thank you to swoon reads and netgalley for sending me a digital review copy of this book. this does not affect my point of view in any way.
When BFFs Charlie, Taylor and Jamie go to SupaCon, they know it’s going to be a blast. What they don’t expect is for it to change their lives forever.
Charlie likes to stand out. SupaCon is her chance to show fans she’s over her public breakup with co-star, Jason Ryan. When Alyssa Huntington arrives as a surprise guest, it seems Charlie’s long-time crush on her isn’t as one-sided as she thought.
While Charlie dodges questions about her personal life, Taylor starts asking questions about her own.
Taylor likes to blend in. Her brain is wired differently, making her fear change. And there’s one thing in her life she knows will never change: her friendship with Jamie—no matter how much she may secretly want it to. But when she hears about the Queen Firestone SupaFan Contest, she starts to rethink her rules on playing it safe.
i never thought i needed this book as much as i did. it was amazing, wonderful, empowering and diverse. i became OBSESSED with it.
with amazingly diverse characters and a geeky plot, QUEENS OF GEEK follows the story of three australian friends who go to supacon, an convention in los angeles. and let me tell you, this book will change your life.
reasons why i fell in love with this book (and why you should definitely read it too):
- the plot: as the geeky/nerdy girl i am, the plot was perfect. as i said before, three friends go to a convention called supacon. charlie still tries to get over her break-up with co-star jason ryan (or reese), while her fans still have hope they’ll be back together. but when she meets alyssa, another youtuber, it seems like things are about to change. taylor (aka my favorite character) doesn’t like to be the center of attention. she prefers to stay inside and fangirl about her favorite book. but with this unpredictable supacon contest, and her developing crush on jamie (their third friend), rules are about to be broken.
- the references: QUEENS OF GEEK had 1000x references of movies and shows that i truly adore. i’m sure you could have heard me screaming many times from far far away. i was just overwhelmed with joy every time.
- female empowerment: girls standing for girls, helping and loving each other…QUEENS OF GEEK is all of the above.
- taylor (my favorite character):
- the representation: i’m telling you: there’s so much diversity and representation in this book that my heart probably melted. i loved it. this book dealt with so many issues, such as anxiety and sexism, in an amazing way.
- at the same time, it was also funny and lighthearted. some scenes just made me giggle uncontrollably.
to sum up, i loved it book to pieces. so i highly recommend you to pick it out once it comes out (soon!). jen wilde has done a wonderful job.
are you excited to read QUEENS OF GEEK (i hope i’ve done my job well)?
QUEENS OF GEEK, by jen wilde, comes out on march 14th, 2017.