top ten tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by the people at the broke and the bookish where people share lists in a certain topic.
it’s the end of the year! which means it’s time to share my favorite books! generally speaking, this year has been a really good one when it comes to reading. so it was kind of hard to narrow this list to ten books (actually, i didn’t).
to make it more fun, i decided to list these books under themes (?). every book on this list fits a song i’ve been listening to this year, so the subtitles of this post will be like this: [song name]:[theme]. at the end of the post, i’ll list all the infos about the songs, because obviously they’re amazing and you should listen to them.
brand new day: a series you started this year (and loved)
i’m 99% sure you already knew this was coming. of course i was going to mention PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS in here. i had been wanting to read this series FOREVER. and when i finally got around it, i fell in love. i’m just…addicted to it. if you still haven’t read these books, GO DO IT. i’ve been a loss for fifteen years of my life, and not reading it until now was the biggest mistake i’ve ever made.
still into you: a book you still haven’t got over
is this even a question? CLOCKWORK PRINCESS, by cassandra clare. i still can’t believe i read around ¾ of this book in one sitting, on mid-term finals week (which is actually in january where i live). so many people say it, and i completely agree: THE INFERNAL DEVICES SERIES IS JUST SO AMAZING. for me, it’s much better than THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS series. *sigh*.
wild: a book that has driven you wild
the dregs have driven me wild: SIX OF CROWS by leigh bardugo. i still have to read the sequel, CROOKED KINGDOM, but the first book is so so so so good. i’m in love with everything about it. kaz brekker and everyone in this book (but especially kaz brekker) is so cool i just wanted to be with them (even though i’ll certainly get killed).
death of a bachelor: a book that was the death of you (because FEELS)
obviously all the books in this list gave me feels, and WINTER by marissa meyer was definitely one of them. it was one of the best finales EVER. it did take me one month to finish but STILL. it was so good. when i was reading it, i was constantly slowing myself down because i didn’t want the series to end.
something about the sunshine: a book that made you happy
P.S. I LIKE YOU, by kasie west. this book was so fluffy and so good. it’s not for everyone, but it definitely was for me. i just wanted to squish the characters so hard. if you’re looking for some fluffy reads next summer, definitely check this book out. i’m really hoping i’ll read more of the author’s books next year.
lies: a mind-blowing book
i feel like nobody really talk about this book, and it’s really sad, because it’s so amazing. it was definitely NOT what i was expecting, and so much better than that. A FIERCE AND SUBTLE POISON by samantha mabry definitely blew my mind. not only for its amazing and so original plot, but also for its diversity. this novel is set in the puerto rico, and features spanish characters. (i’m not spanish though, so i don’t know if this book features good or bad representation.)
bright lights: a book that made you learn something new
with this author’s books, i always learn something new, so i had to feature one of them: THE UNEXPECTED EVERYTHING, by morgan matson. not only this book was so cute and relatable, its message was also one i used later in life. as usual, i highly recommend morgan matson’s two books that i read: this one and SINCE YOU’VE BEEN GONE (which, i can guarantee, includes amazing plot line and wonderful playlists).
crush: a book you can’t help crushing on
can we talk about THE RAVEN CYCLE? about Richard Gansey III? aka the love of my life? because i’m crushing so hard. i still have to read the final book, but this series is just…love love love. i just don’t want to finish it you know? just like with WINTER, it’ll get make me sad to say goodbye…
new perspective: a book that changed your way of seeing things
if you read my last review, this one is pretty obvious for you: KISSING IN AMERICA, by margo rabb. this is the kind of book that EVERYONE should read.
it just breaks ALL the stereotypes about falling in love, it was just so wonderful. this story stands beyond romantic love to face something even more magical. (i forgot to mention this in my review, but the main character in this book is jewish. so if you’re looking for diverse reads…just saying.)
how far i’ll go: a book you travelled with
or time-travelled with: THE GIRL FROM EVERYWHERE, by heidi heilig. i was lucky to read an early copy of this book and it was so amazing. it is about ships and time-travel + it features biracial characters and i just…i really liked it. i’m so excited for the sequel, THE SHIP BEYOND TIME. i reaaaaaally have high expectations for it.
there are so many other books i loved reading this year. and because they deserve to be in this post too, here is another list of some other favorite books of the year (this doesn’t mean i liked them less than the detailed list. i love all my children the same):
- THE LOST HERO + THE SON OF NEPTUNE, by rick riordan: the adventure continues. this spin-off series of the glorious PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS series will be the death of me. i can feel it. it’s definitely different from pjo though, more detailed and featuring more ~diverse~ characters. even though the end of each one of his books makes me want to punch the author in the face (cliffhangers are a CRIME), rick riordan never fails to impress the hell out of me. i’m excited to read the rest of the books and see where the story goes.
- STARS ABOVE, by marissa meyer: feels have hit me harder than i expected in this one, because even though WINTER is the official last book in the lunar chronicles series, this book meant, like, the REAL end. it was a big sacrifice to read it. I’LL MISS THE CHARACTERS SO MUCH *CRIES*.
- SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA, by becky albertalli: i mean, come on! this book is the epitome of cuteness and oreos. i know i’m not the only one who have said it (i’m probably the 1000+th one), but i highly recommend you to read it.
- HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD, by john tiffany + jack thorne + j.k. rowling: i mean, more harry potter? it’s a obvious fact that i’ll love it.
- SALT TO THE SEA, by ruta sepetys: this book means FEELS. it was my first world war II themed novel, and oh my. it may looked a bit like titanic at first glance, but still. this book is genius.
- ME BEFORE YOU, by jojo moyes: *breathes heavily* *fights the tears* *dies*.
wow. that was a long post. i really appreciate it if you made it here. so, what were some of your favorite books of 2016? any recommendations on what i should read next year?
songs used for the post:
- BRAND NEW DAY – by demi lovato, on camp rock 2: the final battle.
- STILL INTO YOU – by paramore.
- WILD – by troye sivan + alessia cara (aka my babies).
- DEATH OF A BACHELOR – by panic! at the disco (aka THE BEST MUSIC GROUP EVER).
- SOMETING ABOUT THE SUNSHINE – by sterling knight + anna margaret, on disney channel’s most underrated movie, starstuck.
- LIES – by marina and the diamonds (really, go listen to MATD).
- BRIGHT LIGHTS – by 30 seconds to mars.
- CRUSH – by david archuelta (aka the song i never get tired of).
- NEW PERSPECTIVE – by panic! at the disco.
- HOW FAR I’LL GO – by alessia cara, on moana.